My apologies for sending this email out a day late. I hope it still finds you well and ready for another full week of mentoring!
*Just a friendly reminder – please be mindful of Dane County’s face mask order. If you are spending time indoors with your mentee, be sure that you’re both wearing a mask (We have some if you or your mentee need one). If you’re outdoors, please remain cautious and smart about your interactions with each other.
Don’t forget to follow us and tag us on social media! Look for IntentionalMentoringMadison on FB, Instagram and Twitter!
Challenge for the week:
For August, the challenges will center around the theme of Friendship. This week’s challenge is to do a friendship activity with your mentee. Some possible ideas are to:
- Make friendship bracelets
- Plan to read and discuss the book Wonder
- Watch and discuss a movie that teachers about friendship (Toy Story, My Girl, E.T., The Sandlot, Charlotte’s Web, Finding Nemo, Bridge to Terabithia, Lilo and Stitch)
- Have your mentee journal and discuss some of these questions
As always, talk, question, listen, challenge and encourage your mentee while participating in any activity and have fun!
BONUS CHALLENGE: August is Advocacy Month and, according to MENTOR, Members of Congress make strong commitments to mentoring and youth development during this month. YOU can help the cause by CHOOSING to advocate on behalf of a number of legislative issues including:
- The OJJDP Youth Mentoring Grant and the importance of federal funding for mentoring.
- The Mentoring to Succeed Act to provide young people with trauma-informed care and mentoring that supports their emotional and education growth and creates critical workforce and career exploration opportunities.
- Efforts to provide emergency and long-term funding to address the ever-growing gap in access to technology and reliable Wi-Fi for students.
TIP of the WEEK: Remember that you’re not alone! Your coach and peer mentors are excellent resources! It’s important for you to rely on them and depend on them for support, ideas and feedback.
We love seeing photos of you and your mentee spending time together! Please share them with us via your coach or using the hashtag #intentionalmentoringmadison
Mentor Coaching Group Meeting Dates:
MARILYN: TBD email@example.com
VAL: Tuesday, August 11th 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. firstname.lastname@example.org
ASHLEY: Thursday, August 20th 7-8 a.m. email@example.com
RYAN: Monday, August 3rd 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. Ryan@intentionalmentoringmadison.org
Upcoming Events to Note
- First day of school – September 8th! 🍎
- There are a lot of cool and FREE events at the Dream Bank on E. Washington St.. Check out the AmFam Dream Bank site for more info and to register.
- For a listing of local events checkout www.MadisonWithKids.com
- Free Library Events/Activities: Fitchburg Events Calendar Madison Events Calendar
- For Orchard Ridge events check Orchard Ridge Calendar
- For Toki events check Toki Calendar
- For Sennett events check Sennett Calendar
- For Cherokee events check Cherokee Calendar
- For Blackhawk events check Blackhawk Calendar
- For JMM HS events check Memorial HS Calendar
- For West HS events checkWest HS Calendar
- For La Follette HS events check La Follette Calendar
If you have a change in personal information (phone/address/email) please respond to this email or notify your mentor coach ASAP.
QUOTE of the WEEK
The delicate balance of mentoring someone is not creating them in your own image, but giving them the opportunity to create themselves. ~Steven Spielberg
All the best,