Hellooo August! What’s on tap for you this month? I’m planning to soak up the last of the summer sun and summer fun!
*Just a friendly reminder – please be mindful of Dane County’s face mask order. If you are spending time indoors with your mentee, be sure that you’re both wearing a mask (We have some if you or your mentee need one). If you’re outdoors, please remain cautious and smart about your interactions with each other.
Don’t forget to follow us and tag us on social media! Look for IntentionalMentoringMadison on FB, Instagram and Twitter!
Challenge for the week:
For August, the challenges will center around the theme of Friendship. This week’s challenge is to have an intentional conversation about friendships with your mentee. You’ve probably already talked, at least some, about your mentee’s friends, but what do you know about their views on friendship? Do they value friendship? Do they prefer a few close friends or a large group of friends? In their opinion, what makes a good friend? Do they think they are a good friend? Why or why not? Instead of talking about who their friends are, talk about why those are their friends. Get some insight into where they’re mind is in terms of friendship so that you can dig in further over the next couple of weeks!
BONUS CHALLENGE: August is Advocacy Month and, according to MENTOR, Members of Congress make strong commitments to mentoring and youth development during this month. YOU can help the cause by CHOOSING to advocate on behalf of a number of legislative issues including:
- The OJJDP Youth Mentoring Grant and the importance of federal funding for mentoring.
- The Mentoring to Succeed Act to provide young people with trauma-informed care and mentoring that supports their emotional and education growth and creates critical workforce and career exploration opportunities.
- Efforts to provide emergency and long-term funding to address the ever-growing gap in access to technology and reliable Wi-Fi for students.
TIP of the WEEK: It’s hard to achieve a goal if you never set one. Am I right, or am I right? Many times kids don’t think about much more than what’s happening within the next 5 minutes, which can make goal setting difficult for them. Be their helper in visualizing tasks, activities, conversations, work, etc. that they want to accomplish and then work with your mentee to design, and begin working toward, a SMART (specific, measurable, attainable, relevant and timely) goal.
We love seeing photos of you and your mentee spending time together! Please share them with us via your coach or using the hashtag #intentionalmentoringmadison
Mentor Coaching Group Meeting Dates:
MARILYN: TBD firstname.lastname@example.org
VAL: Tuesday, August 11th 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. email@example.com
ASHLEY: Thursday, August 20th 7-8 a.m. firstname.lastname@example.org
RYAN: Monday, August 3rd 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. Ryan@intentionalmentoringmadison.org
Upcoming Events to Note
- Goodman Pool is opening in July AND they’re offering pool admission scholarships! Check it out here!
- If your mentee and/or their family are in need of any free meals during this uncertain time, please check out the YMCA’s post 7 Free Food Sites
- There are a lot of cool and FREE events at the Dream Bank on E. Washington St.. Check out the AmFam Dream Bank site for more info and to register.
- For a listing of local events checkout www.MadisonWithKids.com
- Free Library Events/Activities: Fitchburg Events Calendar Madison Events Calendar
- For Orchard Ridge events check Orchard Ridge Calendar
- For Toki events check Toki Calendar
- For Sennett events check Sennett Calendar
- For Cherokee events check Cherokee Calendar
- For Blackhawk events check Blackhawk Calendar
- For JMM HS events check Memorial HS Calendar
- For West HS events checkWest HS Calendar
- For La Follette HS events check La Follette Calendar
If you have a change in personal information (phone/address/email) please respond to this email or notify your mentor coach ASAP.
QUOTE of the WEEK
“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You, too? I thought I was the only one.” ~C.S. Lewis
All the best,