This July heat – oh my word! It just never ends. Stay cool out there people. Water is your friend!
CONGRATULATIONS to our activity box raffle winners, Megan and her mentee Amoni!! We are so excited about all of the fun you’ll be having together at Michael’s Frozen Custard, Vitense Golfland and Marcus Theaters! Ice cream, mini-golf and movies – yippee!
Don’t forget to follow us and tag us on social media! Look for IntentionalMentoringMadison on FB, Instagram and Twitter!
Challenge for the week:
For July, the challenges will center around the theme of Independence. This week’s challenge is work on teaching your mentee self-help. The big idea here is to delay assistance for your mentee just long enough for them to see how, by being resourceful, they can figure some things out for themselves. Maybe your mentee is struggling with an issue in summer school or with a friend, ask them to come up with a few possible solutions before you give advice. Maybe you’re playing a game together and your mentee is stuck and can’t figure out a move, again, ask them to come up with possible solutions before you give any advice. The goal here is for your mentee to learn that, in some situations, they are independent enough to help themselves!
BONUS CHALLENGE: July is Career Readiness Month so lets learn about how you can help your mentee start preparing now. Step 1: Find out what your mentee wants to be when they grow up. If they have several ideas, learn more about their specific interests in each. If they have one idea, find out what made them hone in on that one. If they don’t have any ideas, help them sort through their interests and then share some careers that match those interests. If you need help, have them fill out this interest survey.
TIP of the WEEK: Part of having strong communication in a relationship is giving and receiving feedback. This can be tough to do, but it’s key in building lasting relationships that empower all people involved. Start easy with things like, how do you think I did at planning our time together today? Or, ask for feedback on which of your meetings your mentee has enjoyed the most and why. Also be sure to give your mentee feedback on how they responded to different situations or how well they handled the conversations you had. If your mentee missed your time together or didn’t respond to your text, let them know how that made you feel. The more feedback you’re willing to give and receive, the closer you and your mentee will become!
We love seeing photos of you and your mentee spending time together! Please share them with us via your coach or using the hashtag #intentionalmentoringmadison
Mentor Coaching Group Meeting Dates:
MARILYN: TBD email@example.com
VAL: Tuesday, July 14th 5:30-:30 p.m. firstname.lastname@example.org
ASHLEY: Thursday, July 16th 7-8 a.m. email@example.com
RYAN: Monday, July 6th 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. Ryan@intentionalmentoringmadison.org
Upcoming Events to Note
- Annual Intentional Mentoring Cookout! Date/event subject to change due to ongoing COVID-19 concerns. Make sure you talk to your mentee and their family about coming! The more the merrier! Also, feel free to bring games and chairs/blankets!
- Goodman Pool is opening in July AND they’re offering pool admission scholarships! Check it out here!
- If your mentee and/or their family are in need of any free meals during this uncertain time, please check out the YMCA’s post 7 Free Food Sites
- There are a lot of cool and FREE events at the Dream Bank on E. Washington St.. Check out the AmFam Dream Bank site for more info and to register.
- For a listing of local events checkout www.MadisonWithKids.com
- Free Library Events/Activities: Fitchburg Events Calendar Madison Events Calendar
- For Orchard Ridge events check Orchard Ridge Calendar
- For Toki events check Toki Calendar
- For Sennett events check Sennett Calendar
- For Cherokee events check Cherokee Calendar
- For Blackhawk events check Blackhawk Calendar
- For JMM HS events check Memorial HS Calendar
- For West HS events checkWest HS Calendar
- For La Follette HS events check La Follette Calendar
If you have a change in personal information (phone/address/email) please respond to this email or notify your mentor coach ASAP.
QUOTE of the WEEK
“Show me a successful individual and I’ll show you someone who had real positive influences in his or her life. I don’t care what you do for a living—if you do it well I’m sure there was someone cheering you on or showing the way. A mentor.” ~ Denzel Washington
All the best,