It’s the last week of July already. Can you believe it? I can and I can’t. Somehow, no matter how strange life is right now, it still keeps moving forward!
*Just a friendly reminder – please be mindful of Dane County’s face mask order. If you are spending time indoors with your mentee, be sure that you’re both wearing a mask (We have some if you or your mentee need one). If you’re outdoors, please remain cautious and smart about your interactions with each other.
Don’t forget to follow us and tag us on social media! Look for IntentionalMentoringMadison on FB, Instagram and Twitter!
Challenge for the week:
For July, the challenges will center around the theme of Independence. This week, listen to how you and your mentee talk about their choices and decisions. If your mentee has learned independence, they will be able to say things like:
“I did what was right even when it was hard to do”
“I was held accountable for my bad choices and paid for my mistakes”
“I worked to get what I wanted it, it wasn’t all handed to me”
“I have the skills to handle my problems head on”
If you’re helping your mentee to learn and practice independence, your words and responses will foster this growth, rather than undermine it. You will be able to say things like:
“If you really want to do _____, show me that you can do so responsibly.”
“I noticed you made a poor decision. This is the consequence of that decision.”
“If you really want ____, you can earn it by _____”
“What you did caused ______. You must now take responsibility for fixing it.”
BONUS CHALLENGE: July is Career Readiness Month so lets learn about how you can help your mentee start preparing now. Step 1: Find out what your mentee wants to be when they grow up. If they have several ideas, learn more about their specific interests in each. If they have one idea, find out what made them hone in on that one. If they don’t have any ideas, help them sort through their interests and then share some careers that match those interests. If you need help, have them fill out this interest survey.
TIP of the WEEK: Sometimes routines provide safety and structure, and sometimes they can hinder relationships from moving forward. If you and your mentee always do the same thing when you’re together and you feel like your relationship isn’t growing as much as you’d like it to, perhaps it’s time to switch up your activities. Check out our activity list for lots of ideas! Don’t be afraid to try something new, switch things up once and awhile and challenge yourself and your relationship. You can learn a lot about someone while trying something new with them!
We love seeing photos of you and your mentee spending time together! Please share them with us via your coach or using the hashtag #intentionalmentoringmadison
Mentor Coaching Group Meeting Dates:
MARILYN: TBD email@example.com
VAL: Tuesday, July 14th 5:30-:30 p.m. firstname.lastname@example.org
ASHLEY: Thursday, July 16th 7-8 a.m. email@example.com
RYAN: Monday, July 6th 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. Ryan@intentionalmentoringmadison.org
Upcoming Events to Note
- Goodman Pool is opening in July AND they’re offering pool admission scholarships! Check it out here!
- If your mentee and/or their family are in need of any free meals during this uncertain time, please check out the YMCA’s post 7 Free Food Sites
- There are a lot of cool and FREE events at the Dream Bank on E. Washington St.. Check out the AmFam Dream Bank site for more info and to register.
- For a listing of local events checkout www.MadisonWithKids.com
- Free Library Events/Activities: Fitchburg Events Calendar Madison Events Calendar
- For Orchard Ridge events check Orchard Ridge Calendar
- For Toki events check Toki Calendar
- For Sennett events check Sennett Calendar
- For Cherokee events check Cherokee Calendar
- For Blackhawk events check Blackhawk Calendar
- For JMM HS events check Memorial HS Calendar
- For West HS events checkWest HS Calendar
- For La Follette HS events check La Follette Calendar
If you have a change in personal information (phone/address/email) please respond to this email or notify your mentor coach ASAP.
QUOTE of the WEEK
All the best,