Hi again 🙂 I’m not quite sure how it’s Sunday again and time for another weekly update, but here we are and here you go!
*Just a friendly reminder – please be mindful of Dane County’s new face mask order starting tomorrow. If you are spending time indoors with your mentee, be sure that you’re both wearing a mask (We have some if you or your mentee need one). If you’re outdoors, please remain cautious and smart about your interactions with each other.
Don’t forget to follow us and tag us on social media! Look for IntentionalMentoringMadison on FB, Instagram and Twitter!
Challenge for the week:
For July, the challenges will center around the theme of Independence. This week’s challenge is to work on teaching your mentee accountability. The big idea here is for your mentee to connect choice and consequence. This may be a good opportunity for you to share about a time when you made a negative choice that resulted in an unwanted consequence. Talk through what you learned by having to deal with that consequence. You can also share about a time when you made a positive choice that was followed by a desired consequence. This time you can talk through what behavior was reinforced in you as a result of making that choice. Make sure to follow up your examples with questions about times that your mentee has made choices resulting in either desired or undesirable consequences and what they learned from those choices.
BONUS CHALLENGE: July is Career Readiness Month so lets learn about how you can help your mentee start preparing now. Step 1: Find out what your mentee wants to be when they grow up. If they have several ideas, learn more about their specific interests in each. If they have one idea, find out what made them hone in on that one. If they don’t have any ideas, help them sort through their interests and then share some careers that match those interests. If you need help, have them fill out this interest survey.
TIP of the WEEK: Boundaries! Setting and maintaining boundaries is so important for a healthy mentoring relationship. One of the most important boundaries you can set with your mentee is your role. Remember, you are not their parent or their friend, you are their source of support and encouragement – an outside perspective and voice of reason. Maintaining this boundary will protect your mentee from becoming dependent on you and will increase their ability to depend on themselves. Making sure to stick to time commitments and communication schedules will also help maintain healthy boundaries. Protect yourself and your relationship by not letting these boundaries slide.
We love seeing photos of you and your mentee spending time together! Please share them with us via your coach or using the hashtag #intentionalmentoringmadison
Mentor Coaching Group Meeting Dates:
MARILYN: TBD email@example.com
VAL: Tuesday, July 14th 5:30-:30 p.m. firstname.lastname@example.org
ASHLEY: Thursday, July 16th 7-8 a.m. email@example.com
RYAN: Monday, July 6th 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. Ryan@intentionalmentoringmadison.org
Upcoming Events to Note
- Annual Intentional Mentoring Cookout – postponed until the fall. We just didn’t see a way to do this in a way that was comfortable and safe for all. We’re really hoping to be able to get us all together for food and connection in the fall!
- Goodman Pool is opening in July AND they’re offering pool admission scholarships! Check it out here!
- If your mentee and/or their family are in need of any free meals during this uncertain time, please check out the YMCA’s post 7 Free Food Sites
- There are a lot of cool and FREE events at the Dream Bank on E. Washington St.. Check out the AmFam Dream Bank site for more info and to register.
- For a listing of local events checkout www.MadisonWithKids.com
- Free Library Events/Activities: Fitchburg Events Calendar Madison Events Calendar
- For Orchard Ridge events check Orchard Ridge Calendar
- For Toki events check Toki Calendar
- For Sennett events check Sennett Calendar
- For Cherokee events check Cherokee Calendar
- For Blackhawk events check Blackhawk Calendar
- For JMM HS events check Memorial HS Calendar
- For West HS events checkWest HS Calendar
- For La Follette HS events check La Follette Calendar
If you have a change in personal information (phone/address/email) please respond to this email or notify your mentor coach ASAP.
QUOTE of the WEEK
All the best,