It’s almost July! What are you doing to celebrate the 4th this year? Things will probably look a little different this year, for several reasons, but we hope the holiday brings you good times and good cheer none the less! ❤️💙
REMINDER: Now that you’ve delivered an activity box to your mentee, it’s time to play! Anyone who sends us a photo and a brief description of your experience doing the activity with your mentee by FRIDAY, JULY 3rd will be entered into a raffle for a chance to win $75 worth of gift cards to use to have more fun together!
Don’t forget to follow us and tag us on social media! Look for IntentionalMentoringMadison on FB, Instagram and Twitter!
Challenge for the week:
For July, the challenges will center around the theme of Independence. This week’s challenge is to think about ways you can encourage your mentee to be independent and then facilitate a way for them to try it out. Going to get some ice cream? Have your mentee place their own order. At a museum or other local event? Encourage your mentee to ask a staff member a question. Going somewhere new? Have your mentee stop to ask for directions. See how comfortable your mentee is with being independent in these ways in order to give yourself some perspective about where you can grow together!
BONUS CHALLENGE: July is Career Readiness Month so lets learn about how you can help your mentee start preparing now. Step 1: Find out what your mentee wants to be when they grow up. If they have several ideas, learn more about their specific interests in each. If they have one idea, find out what made them hone in on that one. If they don’t have any ideas, help them sort through their interests and then share some careers that match those interests. If you need help, have them fill out this interest survey.
TIP of the WEEK: Open and honest communication are keys to strong relationships. Be sure to set up a communication plan with your mentee – figure out if you will text, call, e-mail or use other social media channels to keep in touch. Determine what is the best day of the week and/or time to reach each other. Once your communication plan is set, be sure to stick to it and let each other know if anything changes or if you feel it’s not working for one of you.
We love seeing photos of you and your mentee spending time together! Please share them with us via your coach or using the hashtag #intentionalmentoringmadison
Mentor Coaching Group Meeting Dates:
MARILYN: TBD firstname.lastname@example.org
VAL: Tuesday, July 14th 5:30-:30 p.m. email@example.com
ASHLEY: Thursday, July 16th 7-8 a.m. firstname.lastname@example.org
RYAN: Monday, July 6th 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. Ryan@intentionalmentoringmadison.org
Upcoming Events to Note
- Annual Intentional Mentoring Cookout! Date/event subject to change due to ongoing COVID-19 concerns. Make sure you talk to your mentee and their family about coming! The more the merrier! Also, feel free to bring games and chairs/blankets!
- Goodman Pool is opening in July AND they’re offering pool admission scholarships! Check it out here!
- MMSD is excited to share a variety of summer employment programs will be available for students in grades 8 through 12, all over Madison, including volunteer positions and career development opportunities. If your mentee is interested, have them fill out this interest form!
- If your mentee and/or their family are in need of any free meals during this uncertain time, please check out the YMCA’s post 7 Free Food Sites
- There are a lot of cool and FREE events at the Dream Bank on E. Washington St.. Check out the AmFam Dream Bank site for more info and to register.
- For a listing of local events checkout www.MadisonWithKids.com
- Free Library Events/Activities: Fitchburg Events Calendar Madison Events Calendar
- For Orchard Ridge events check Orchard Ridge Calendar
- For Toki events check Toki Calendar
- For Sennett events check Sennett Calendar
- For Cherokee events check Cherokee Calendar
- For Blackhawk events check Blackhawk Calendar
- For JMM HS events check Memorial HS Calendar
- For West HS events checkWest HS Calendar
- For La Follette HS events check La Follette Calendar
If you have a change in personal information (phone/address/email) please respond to this email or notify your mentor coach ASAP.
QUOTE of the WEEK
“A lot of people put pressure on themselves and think it will be way too hard for them to live out their dreams. Mentors are there to say, ‘Look, it’s not that tough. It’s not as hard as you think. Here are some guidelines and things I have gone through to get to where I am in my career”. ~ Joe Jonas
All the best,