Weekly Training Resource
This section is to remind you that mentors do 5 hours of training this year to continue to grow as a mentor. You may choose from any of the resources on the training spreadsheet. Highlighting a resource each week in this email is to allow you to just click and go.
This week’s training resource is one of the initial required trainings, about communication.
How does this help me in my mentoring relationship? New mentors should watch all four trainings before starting mentoring. If you haven’t watched it in a while, it would be good to watch again to see what new aspects are relevant to your relationships.
Don’t forget to fill out the response form after completing each training.
Activity Idea for the Week
For November, the challenges will center around the theme of Giving Thanks. This week’s challenge is to talk to your mentee about who they’re thankful for and why. Share who you’re thankful for and why too. Then, write some appreciation notes (store bought or homemade) and slip them in the mail or deliver them yourselves! This can also be an opportunity to teach how to address an envelope, write a note and tell people how you feel. As you’re writing, be sure to talk, listen, share and learn together!
Tip of the Week
In addition to the hardships that come from living in poverty, many students from poverty have been traumatized in ways not directly related to their socioeconomic status. The number of students living in poverty who have been traumatized has been estimated between 50-80 percent. For this reason, it’s important to remember the tips on dealing with students who have experienced trauma that were shared in previous emails (safety, trustworthiness, choice, collaboration, equity). ~Taken from www.nea.org Teaching Children from Poverty and Trauma.
We love seeing photos of you and your mentee spending time together! Please share them with us via your coach or using the hashtag #intentionalmentoringmadison
Mentor Coaching Group Meeting Dates
VAL: Monday, November 28th 6:30 – 7:30pm email@example.com
RYAN: Monday, November 7th 5:30 – 6:30pm firstname.lastname@example.org
Upcoming Events to Note
- There are a lot of cool and FREE events at the Dream Bank on E. Washington St.. Check out the AmFam Dream Bank site for more info and to register.
- Free Library Events/Activities: Fitchburg Events Calendar Madison Events Calendar
- For Orchard Ridge events check Orchard Ridge Calendar
- For Toki events check Toki Calendar
- For Sennett events check Sennett Calendar
- For Cherokee events check Cherokee Calendar
- For Blackhawk events check Blackhawk Calendar
- For Memorial HS events check Memorial HS Calendar
- For West HS events check West HS Calendar
- For La Follette HS events check La Follette Calendar
If you have a change in personal information (phone/address/email) please respond to this email or notify your mentor coach ASAP.
All the best,