Hello! With it being pumpkin carving, apple picking and football watching season, there is so much fun to be had with your mentee! Please read below for some things to discuss while you’re spending time together.
*Just a friendly reminder – please be mindful of Dane County’s face mask order. If you are spending time indoors with your mentee, be sure that you’re both wearing a mask (We have some if you or your mentee need one). If you’re outdoors, please remain cautious and smart about your interactions with each other.
Don’t forget to follow us and tag us on social media! Look for IntentionalMentoringMadison on FB, Instagram and Twitter!
Challenge for the week:
For October, the challenges will center around the theme of Character Education. This week’s challenge is to teach your mentee about trustworthiness. A good place to start might be with giving your mentee a self-evaluation like the one below.
|🟦||🟦||I am honest. I don’t lie, cheat, or steal.|
|🟦||🟦||I keep my promises and follow through on my commitments.|
|🟦||🟦||I try to do what is right, even when it feels difficult.|
|🟦||🟦||I am a good and dependable friend.|
You can follow up this self-evaluation with a discussion using some of the prompts below.
1. How do you know when you can trust someone?
2. What part does trust play in your relationships with your friends and family? How would these relationships be affected if you found out someone was lying to you?
3. What are the benefits of being a trustworthy person? How do you benefit from the trustworthiness of others?
4. What does trusting somebody mean?
5. What do you look for in someone so you know you can trust him/her?
BONUS CHALLENGE: October is S.T.E.M. Mentoring month but the reality of youth in S.T.E.M. is not the prettiest of pictures. According to Mentoring.org, The struggles of girls and young women, youth with disabilities, youth of color, and first generation college students to engage in and persist in STEM are also well documented, as these groups continue to remain disproportionately underrepresented in academia and the STEM workforce. This is an issue that not only limits the career choices being considered by young Americans, but the dilution of the talent pipeline hurts American competitiveness in many industries. Closing these gaps in STEM engagement, performance, and representation has become an issue of national importance. Challenge yourself to expose your mentee to S.T.E.M. this month and, potentially, spark an interest!
TIP OF THE WEEK: It takes time for people who have experienced trauma to trust others again. Below are some ways to help them with trustworthiness.
- Make sure your mentee can rely on you by being honest and truthful
- Patiently work toward earning trust, despite setbacks
- Clearly explain expectations
- Be consistent on how you respond, especially in emotional situations
- Provide clear and appropriate boundaries
- Teach your mentee how to express feelings (model positive expression and regulation
We love seeing photos of you and your mentee spending time together! Please share them with us via your coach or using the hashtag #intentionalmentoringmadison
Mentor Coaching Group Meeting Dates:
MARILYN: Last week of October email@example.com
VAL: Tuesday, October 12th 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. firstname.lastname@example.org
ASHLEY: Scheduled Individually for now email@example.com
RYAN: October 5th 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. Ryan@intentionalmentoringmadison.org
Upcoming Events to Note
- Check out all the events at the Wisconsin Science Festival!!
- There are a lot of cool and FREE events at the Dream Bank on E. Washington St.. Check out the AmFam Dream Bank site for more info and to register.
- For a listing of local events checkout www.MadisonWithKids.com
- Free Library Events/Activities: Fitchburg Events Calendar Madison Events Calendar
- For Orchard Ridge events check Orchard Ridge Calendar
- For Toki events check Toki Calendar
- For Sennett events check Sennett Calendar
- For Cherokee events check Cherokee Calendar
- For Blackhawk events check Blackhawk Calendar
- For JMM HS events check Memorial HS Calendar
- For West HS events checkWest HS Calendar
- For La Follette HS events check La Follette Calendar
If you have a change in personal information (phone/address/email) please respond to this email or notify your mentor coach ASAP.
QUOTE of the WEEK
“I look at where I’m at today and realize that most of my success is owed to the mentors that was in my life.” ~Kendrick Lamar
All the best,