Weekly Training Resource
This week’s training resource is one of the initial required trainings, trauma informed care.
How does this help me in my mentoring relationship? New mentors should watch all four trainings before starting mentoring. If you haven’t watched it in a while, it would be good to watch again to see what new aspects are relevant to your relationships.
Don’t forget to fill out the response form after completing each training.
Challenge for the Week
For October, the challenges were all centered around the theme of Character Education. You and your mentee worked on trustworthiness, responsibility, caring, and citizenship. This week’s challenge is to do a re-cap. Is there one area that your mentee struggled with the most? Is there an area whey they really shined? Is there an area you don’t feel like you were able to spend enough time on? Reflect on the work you’ve done with your mentee and then decide where you want to go from there. Whatever you decide to do, be sure to talk, listen, share and learn together!
Tip of the Week
In Madison, 50% of students attending MMSD schools live in low-income households. This is consistent with the national average. Poverty impacts the lives of students by creating emotional and social challenges, acute and chronic stressors, cognitive lags, and health and safety issues. These issues include more hazardous places to live, less green space, and contaminated water and air. Poverty is crowded, noisy and often means physically deteriorating households. Students living in poverty also have fewer support networks on which students can rely, meaning they often rely on peers for social and emotional support. This is where you come in! Being a mentor means being a consistent source of support. ~Taken from www.nea.org Teaching Children from Poverty and Trauma.
We love seeing photos of you and your mentee spending time together! Please share them with us via your coach or using the hashtag #intentionalmentoringmadison
Mentor Coaching Group Meeting Dates
VAL: Monday, November 28th 6:30 – 7:30pm email@example.com
RYAN: Monday, November 7th 5:30 – 6:30pm Ryan@intentionalmentoringmadison.org
Upcoming Events to Note
- There are a lot of cool and FREE events at the Dream Bank on E. Washington St.. Check out the AmFam Dream Bank site for more info and to register.
- Free Library Events/Activities: Fitchburg Events Calendar Madison Events Calendar
- For Orchard Ridge events check Orchard Ridge Calendar
- For Toki events check Toki Calendar
- For Sennett events check Sennett Calendar
- For Cherokee events check Cherokee Calendar
- For Blackhawk events check Blackhawk Calendar
- For Memorial HS events check Memorial HS Calendar
- For West HS events check West HS Calendar
- For La Follette HS events check La Follette Calendar
If you have a change in personal information (phone/address/email) please respond to this email or notify your mentor coach ASAP.
All the best,