Weekly Training Resource
This week’s training resource is the tenth chapter, about goal setting and support, of a training called Becoming a Better Mentor.
How does this help me in my mentoring relationship? Making goals is a big part of the mentoring process and this is a helpful resource for you.
Don’t forget to fill out the response form after completing each training.
Challenge for the Week
For September, the challenges will center around the theme of Back to School. This week’s challenge is to work with your mentee to set SMART goals. Use this document to talk through some personal, behavioral and/or academic goals that you will monitor and track with your mentee throughout the school year. Your coaches will be checking in with you about this and offering you support in helping your mentee work toward achieving the goals they set!
Tip of the Week
There are several ways to support students who have experienced trauma.
- Physical – Help ensure their basic needs are met so that they may feel comfortable. Think – rest, water, food and warmth.
- Emotional – Create a trusting environment where they can share their emotions and express concerns while receiving respect and acceptance. Also, support risk-taking.
- Social – Help them feel a sense of belonging and connection, model self-awareness, delay a need for gratification and help them develop empathy
- Moral – Communicate honestly and with integrity, show them they can trust you and let them know that they can struggle while still being in a trustworthy environment.
We love seeing photos of you and your mentee spending time together! Please share them with us via your coach or using the hashtag #intentionalmentoringmadison
Mentor Coaching Group Meeting Dates
VAL: Monday, September 26th 6:30 – 7:30pm firstname.lastname@example.org
RYAN: Monday, October 3rd 5:30 – 6:30pm Ryan@intentionalmentoringmadison.org
Upcoming Events to Note
- There are a lot of cool and FREE events at the Dream Bank on E. Washington St.. Check out the AmFam Dream Bank site for more info and to register.
- Free Library Events/Activities: Fitchburg Events Calendar Madison Events Calendar
- For Orchard Ridge events check Orchard Ridge Calendar
- For Toki events check Toki Calendar
- For Sennett events check Sennett Calendar
- For Cherokee events check Cherokee Calendar
- For Blackhawk events check Blackhawk Calendar
- For Memorial HS events check Memorial HS Calendar
- For West HS events check West HS Calendar
- For La Follette HS events check La Follette Calendar
If you have a change in personal information (phone/address/email) please respond to this email or notify your mentor coach ASAP.
All the best,