Weekly Training Resource
This week’s training resource is the seventh chapter, about working with others in the mentoring relationship system, of a training called Becoming a Better Mentor.
How does this help me in my mentoring relationship? There are some great ideas for partnering with caregivers and schools for you in this article.
Don’t forget to fill out the response form after completing each training.
Challenge for the Week
For October, the challenges will center around the theme of Character Education. This week’s challenge is to teach your mentee about trustworthiness. A good place to start might be with giving your mentee a self-evaluation like the one below.
True or False
I am honest. I don’t lie, cheat or steal.
I keep my promises and follow through on my commitments.
I try to do what is right, even when it feels difficult.
I am a good and dependable friend.
I think I am/am not a trustworthy person because: ______________
You can follow up this self-evaluation with a discussion using some of the prompts below.
1. How do you know when you can trust someone?
2. What part does trust play in your relationships with your family and friends? How would these relationships be affected if you found out someone was lying to you?
3. What are the benefits of being a trustworthy person? How do you benefit from the trustworthiness of others?
4. What does trusting someone mean?
5. What do you look for in someone so you know you can trust him/her?
Tip of the Week
It takes time for people who have experienced trauma to trust others again. Below are some ways to help them with trustworthiness.
- Make sure your mentee can rely on you by being honest and truthful
- Patiently work toward earning trust, despite setbacks
- Clearly explain expectations
- Be consistent on how you respond, especially in emotional situations
- Provide clear and appropriate boundaries
- Teach your mentee how to express feelings (model positive expression and regulation)
We love seeing photos of you and your mentee spending time together! Please share them with us via your coach or using the hashtag #intentionalmentoringmadison
Mentor Coaching Group Meeting Dates
VAL: Monday, October 24th 6:30 – 7:30pm email@example.com
RYAN: Monday, October 3rd 5:30 – 6:30pm Ryan@intentionalmentoringmadison.org
Upcoming Events to Note
- There are a lot of cool and FREE events at the Dream Bank on E. Washington St.. Check out the AmFam Dream Bank site for more info and to register.
- Free Library Events/Activities: Fitchburg Events Calendar Madison Events Calendar
- For Orchard Ridge events check Orchard Ridge Calendar
- For Toki events check Toki Calendar
- For Sennett events check Sennett Calendar
- For Cherokee events check Cherokee Calendar
- For Blackhawk events check Blackhawk Calendar
- For Memorial HS events check Memorial HS Calendar
- For West HS events check West HS Calendar
- For La Follette HS events check La Follette Calendar
If you have a change in personal information (phone/address/email) please respond to this email or notify your mentor coach ASAP.
All the best,