Don’t forget to follow us and tag us on social media! Look for IntentionalMentoringMadison on FB, Instagram and Twitter!
Challenge for the week:
For September, the challenges will center around the theme of Back to School. This week’s challenge is to work with your mentee to set SMART goals. Use this document to talk through some personal, behavioral and/or academic goals that you will monitor and track with your mentee throughout the school year. Your coaches will be checking in with you about this and offering you support in helping your mentee work toward achieving the goals they set!
BONUS CHALLENGE: September is Back-to-School Month and this means joy for some, anxiety for others and fear for a few. Let’s challenge ourselves to meet our mentees where they’re at this month. Walking alongside someone and sharing in their joy enhances that experience for them. Walking next to someone in moments of anxiety provides them with a sense of security and support. Walking beside someone who is afraid gives them a sense of safety and encouragement. Let’s be the people who walk alongside, next to and beside others this month.
TIP of the WEEK:
There are several ways to support students who have experienced trauma.
- Physical – Help ensure their basic needs are met so that they may feel comfortable. Think – rest, water, food and warmth.
- Emotional – Create a trusting environment where they can share their emotions and express concerns while receiving respect and acceptance. Also, support risk-taking.
- Social – Help them feel a sense of belonging and connection, model self-awareness, delay a need for gratification and help them develop empathy
- Moral – Communicate honestly and with integrity, show them they can trust you and let them know that they can struggle while still being in a trustworthy environment.
📸 We love seeing photos of you and your mentee spending time together! Please share them with us via your coach or using the hashtag #intentionalmentoringmadison 📸
Mentor Coaching Group Meeting Dates:
ASHLEY: Monday, September 27th 6:30 – 7:30 firstname.lastname@example.org
RYAN: Monday, September 6th 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. Ryan@intentionalmentoringmadison.org
Upcoming Events to Note
- FREE Virtual Performing Arts events!
- Urban League of Greater Madison events and opportunities!!
- There are a lot of cool and FREE events at the Dream Bank on E. Washington St.. Check out the AmFam Dream Bank site for more info and to register.
- For a listing of local events checkout www.MadisonWithKids.com
- Free Library Events/Activities: Fitchburg Events Calendar Madison Events Calendar
- For Orchard Ridge events check Orchard Ridge Calendar
- For Toki events check Toki Calendar
- For Sennett events check Sennett Calendar
- For Cherokee events check Cherokee Calendar
- For Blackhawk events check Blackhawk Calendar
- For JMM HS events check Memorial HS Calendar
- For West HS events check West HS Calendar
- For La Follette HS events check La Follette Calendar
If you have a change in personal information (phone/address/email) please respond to this email or notify your mentor coach ASAP.
QUOTE of the WEEK
Without a mentor in life, one can easily succumb to folly. Without a mentor in life, one can easily become self-centered, capricious and arrogant. ~Anonymous
All the best,