Weekly Training Resource
This week’s training resource is the fifth chapter, about understanding effective online communication, of a training called Becoming a Better Mentor.
How does this help me in my mentoring relationship? Whether you communicate with your mentee online frequently or rarely, these tips can help you think creatively to make the best of that tool.
Don’t forget to fill out the response form after completing each training.
Challenge for the Week
For September, the challenges will center around the theme of Back to School. This week’s challenge is to do a check-in. Before school started, you talked to your mentee about their hopes and anxieties for the school year. This week, check-in with them. How were they able to deal with their anxieties the first week? Did their fears dissipate or change? Do they see possibility in their hopes? Did new anxieties or hopes show up? Get them talking about what they’re feeling! As always, talk, question, listen, challenge and encourage your mentee!
Tip of the Week
You may not be aware of any ACE’s (Adverse Childhood Experiences) that your mentee has experienced, but if they are exhibiting any of the symptoms below, it’s likely they have experienced one or several.
-Basic mistrust of adults/unable to depend on others
-Belief that the world is unsafe and/or bad things will happen
-Assumes blame, rejection, fear/anxiety
-Feelings of hopelessness/pessimism
We love seeing photos of you and your mentee spending time together! Please share them with us via your coach or using the hashtag #intentionalmentoringmadison
Mentor Coaching Group Meeting Dates
VAL: Monday, September 26th 6:30 – 7:30pm email@example.com
RYAN: Monday, October 3rd 5:30 – 6:30pm Ryan@intentionalmentoringmadison.org
Upcoming Events to Note
- There are a lot of cool and FREE events at the Dream Bank on E. Washington St.. Check out the AmFam Dream Bank site for more info and to register.
- Free Library Events/Activities: Fitchburg Events Calendar Madison Events Calendar
- For Orchard Ridge events check Orchard Ridge Calendar
- For Toki events check Toki Calendar
- For Sennett events check Sennett Calendar
- For Cherokee events check Cherokee Calendar
- For Blackhawk events check Blackhawk Calendar
- For Memorial HS events check Memorial HS Calendar
- For West HS events check West HS Calendar
- For La Follette HS events check La Follette Calendar
If you have a change in personal information (phone/address/email) please respond to this email or notify your mentor coach ASAP.
All the best,