Here we go, people! September and the first day of school are hitting us this week. Are you ready???
Don’t forget to follow us and tag us on social media! Look for IntentionalMentoringMadison on FB, Instagram and Twitter!
Challenge for the week:
For September, the challenges will center around the theme of Back to School. This week’s challenge is to set aside some time to talk to your mentee about how they are feeling about going back to school. Make a list of the things they are afraid of or anxious about and the things they are excited about or looking forward to. Be intentional about helping them address their fears and anxieties and find out why certain things excite them. Keep this list in mind so that you can come back to it in a few weeks to check-in! As always, talk, question, listen, challenge and encourage your mentee!
BONUS CHALLENGE: September is Back-to-School Month and this means joy for some, anxiety for others and fear for a few. Let’s challenge ourselves to meet our mentees where they’re at this month. Walking alongside someone and sharing in their joy enhances that experience for them. Walking next to someone in moments of anxiety provides them with a sense of security and support. Walking beside someone who is afraid gives them a sense of safety and encouragement. Let’s be the people who walk alongside, next to and beside others this month.
TIP of the WEEK: Did you know that there are several different types of trauma? Trauma can be experienced in the form of a one-time event, a series of events (possibly over a period of time) or through historical events (cumulative emotional and psychological wounding across generations). Some events/experiences that may cause trauma are natural disasters, human-cause disasters, community violence, school violence, family trauma, refugee trauma, medical trauma, poverty, racial trauma and/or historical trauma. Not everyone responds the same to any one event or any series of events. It’s our job to understand this and to do our best to help our mentees build their capacity to unlearn the damaging effects they may be experiencing (possibly unknowingly) as a result of trauma.
📸 We love seeing photos of you and your mentee spending time together! Please share them with us via your coach or using the hashtag #intentionalmentoringmadison 📸
Mentor Coaching Group Meeting Dates:
ASHLEY: Monday, September 27th 6:45 – 7:45 email@example.com
RYAN: Monday, September 6th 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. Ryan@intentionalmentoringmadison.org
Upcoming Events to Note
- FREE Virtual Performing Arts events!
- Urban League of Greater Madison events and opportunities!!
- There are a lot of cool and FREE events at the Dream Bank on E. Washington St.. Check out the AmFam Dream Bank site for more info and to register.
- For a listing of local events checkout www.MadisonWithKids.com
- Free Library Events/Activities: Fitchburg Events Calendar Madison Events Calendar
- For Orchard Ridge events check Orchard Ridge Calendar
- For Toki events check Toki Calendar
- For Sennett events check Sennett Calendar
- For Cherokee events check Cherokee Calendar
- For Blackhawk events check Blackhawk Calendar
- For JMM HS events check Memorial HS Calendar
- For West HS events check West HS Calendar
- For La Follette HS events check La Follette Calendar
If you have a change in personal information (phone/address/email) please respond to this email or notify your mentor coach ASAP.
QUOTE of the WEEK
All the best,