Weekly Training Resource
Challenge for the Week:
For June, the challenges will center around the theme of Embrace Diversity. This week’s challenge is to take a look at diversity in the arts. There are many cultural influences in music, art and dance, some that your mentee may be aware of, and others that they may not be aware of. In order to expose your mentee to different styles, you could take a trip to the art museum or to the music store. If that’s not an option, pull up YouTube and search up cultural dances and songs. Perhaps you could go to the library and ask the librarian to help you locate books or magazines about art, dance or music from different cultures. Have your mentee share the arts of their culture and make sure that you share the arts of yours too!
BONUS CHALLENGE: We can’t let any more time pass without doing the work to fight for social justice. This month’s bonus challenge is to begin or continue the work in yourself. I don’t know where each of you are in your journey or what you need to hear, but I do know that we are all works in progress with room to grow. Here are several resources to help you on your journey (These count towards your training! Be sure to fill out the form above after learning). Anti-Racist Resources
TIP of the WEEK:
Relationships can be difficult you guys. They take work and effort and patience and trust and commitment. That’s a lot! When your mentee isn’t opening up as much as you’d like or connecting with you as much as you’d like, remind yourself of these things. Take a step back, look at what you’ve tried and what you haven’t yet tried. Can you contact a family member, reach out in a new way (via social media perhaps) or talk to your mentee about how you’re feeling? Don’t forget that you also have a coach you can lean on. There’s no issue too small for you to talk to your coach about!
We love seeing photos of you and your mentee spending time together! Please share them with us via your coach or using the hashtag #intentionalmentoringmadison
Mentor Coaching Group Meeting Dates:
ASHLEY: Monday, June 27th 6:30 – 7:30pm email@example.com
RYAN: Monday, July TBD 5:30 – 6:30pm Ryan@intentionalmentoringmadison.org
Upcoming Events to Note
- FREE Virtual Performing Arts events!
- Urban League of Greater Madison events and opportunities!!
- There are a lot of cool and FREE events at the Dream Bank on E. Washington St.. Check out the AmFam Dream Bank site for more info and to register.
- For a listing of local events checkout www.MadisonWithKids.com
- Free Library Events/Activities: Fitchburg Events Calendar Madison Events Calendar
- For Orchard Ridge events check Orchard Ridge Calendar
- For Toki events check Toki Calendar
- For Sennett events check Sennett Calendar
- For Cherokee events check Cherokee Calendar
- For Blackhawk events check Blackhawk Calendar
- For JMM HS events check Memorial HS Calendar
- For West HS events check West HS Calendar
- For La Follette HS events check La Follette Calendar
If you have a change in personal information (phone/address/email) please respond to this email or notify your mentor coach ASAP.
All the best,