😎 It’s SUMMERTIME! 😎
Don’t forget to follow us and tag us on social media! Look for IntentionalMentoringMadison on FB, Instagram and Twitter!
Challenge for the week:
For June, the challenges will center around the theme of Embrace Diversity. This week’s challenge is to take a look at diversity in the arts. There are many cultural influences in music, art and dance, some that your mentee may be aware of, and others that they may not be aware of. In order to expose your mentee to different styles, you could take a trip to the art museum or to the music store. If that’s not an option, pull up YouTube and search up cultural dances and songs. Perhaps you could go to the library and ask the librarian to help you locate books or magazines about art, dance or music from different cultures. Have your mentee share the arts of their culture and make sure that you share the arts of yours too!
BONUS CHALLENGE: We can’t let any more time pass without doing the work to fight for social justice. This month’s bonus challenge is to begin or continue the work in yourself. I don’t know where each of you are in your journey or what you need to hear, but I do know that we are all works in progress with room to grow. Here are several resources to help you on your journey. Anti-Racist Resources
TIP of the WEEK: Active listening can help build trust and rapport with your mentee. When having a discussion, try following up what your mentee says with responses such as “I heard you say . . . ” “Now that you say that, I’m wondering . . . ” “Can you tell me more about . . . “
📸 We love seeing photos of you and your mentee spending time together! Please share them with us via your coach or using the hashtag #intentionalmentoringmadison 📸
Mentor Coaching Group Meeting Dates:
ASHLEY: Monday, June 28th 6:45 – 7:45 email@example.com
RYAN: Monday, June 7th 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. Ryan@intentionalmentoringmadison.org
Upcoming Events to Note
- ✨NEW✨ PERSONAL FINANCE & READINESS DAY CAMP: Youth Power Academy of Finance is recruiting youth (7th to 11th grade) for their summer youth finance academy that starts on Monday, June 14th. The sessions will be at Edgewood College from 9 until 12 noon for a week and there will be a virtual option offered if preferred. The session is free and the program exposes youth to financial literacy, investing, and entrepreneurship. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org and look at this flyer.
- ✨NEW✨ Penn Park, June 29th – “It Takes a Village” event 1p-5pm
- ✨NEW✨ Meadowood Park, July 2nd – “Welcome Back” event. Time is TBD.
- FREE Virtual Performing Arts events!
- Urban League of Greater Madison events and opportunities!!
- There are a lot of cool and FREE events at the Dream Bank on E. Washington St.. Check out the AmFam Dream Bank site for more info and to register.
- For a listing of local events checkout www.MadisonWithKids.com
- Free Library Events/Activities: Fitchburg Events Calendar Madison Events Calendar
- For Orchard Ridge events check Orchard Ridge Calendar
- For Toki events check Toki Calendar
- For Sennett events check Sennett Calendar
- For Cherokee events check Cherokee Calendar
- For Blackhawk events check Blackhawk Calendar
- For JMM HS events check Memorial HS Calendar
- For West HS events check West HS Calendar
- For La Follette HS events check La Follette Calendar
If you have a change in personal information (phone/address/email) please respond to this email or notify your mentor coach ASAP.
QUOTE of the WEEK
It is time for parents to teach young people early on that in diversity there is beauty and there is strength. ~Maya Angelou
All the best,