Weekly Training Resource
This week’s training resource is a 15 minute TED talk is called “How Teachers Can Help Students Navigate Trauma”. Don’t forget to fill out the response form after completing each training.
Challenge for the Week:
For June, the challenges will center around the theme of Embracing Diversity. This week’s challenge is to expose your mentee to a situation that shows them some of the diversity in our world. This could mean playing at a park or walking through a neighborhood unlike their own, reading a book or watching a movie about children/people who have a different cultural background than them, or looking for a cultural event going on around the city. No matter how you embrace diversity, be sure to talk to your mentee about their thoughts and feelings and, most importantly, be sure to LISTEN!
BONUS CHALLENGE: We can’t let any more time pass without doing the work to fight for social justice. This month’s bonus challenge is to begin or continue the work in yourself. I don’t know where each of you are in your journey or what you need to hear, but I do know that we are all works in progress with room to grow. Here are several resources to help you on your journey (These count towards your training! Be sure to fill out the form above after learning). Anti-Racist Resources
TIP of the WEEK:
Goals, goals, goals, goals, goals. You’re probably sick of me talking about goals and your mentee might be sick of talking about them too. BUT, if we don’t talk about them, they may not happen. Ahhh! So, maybe you take a break from talking and give the action steps some time to get moving and THEN you talk about them again. Because, of course, you can’t just set a goal, make some action steps and then never check-in. It’s hard for adults to stick to their goals (hello New Year’s Resolutions . . . ) so imagine how important it is for a student to have someone holding them accountable. Keep checking in. Keep nagging if you have to. Trust me, they’ll thank you later.
We love seeing photos of you and your mentee spending time together! Please share them with us via your coach or using the hashtag #intentionalmentoringmadison
Mentor Coaching Group Meeting Dates:
ASHLEY: Monday, June 27th 6:30 – 7:30pm firstname.lastname@example.org
RYAN: Monday, June 6th 5:30 – 6:30pm Ryan@intentionalmentoringmadison.org
Upcoming Events to Note
- FREE Virtual Performing Arts events!
- Urban League of Greater Madison events and opportunities!!
- There are a lot of cool and FREE events at the Dream Bank on E. Washington St.. Check out the AmFam Dream Bank site for more info and to register.
- For a listing of local events checkout www.MadisonWithKids.com
- Free Library Events/Activities: Fitchburg Events Calendar Madison Events Calendar
- For Orchard Ridge events check Orchard Ridge Calendar
- For Toki events check Toki Calendar
- For Sennett events check Sennett Calendar
- For Cherokee events check Cherokee Calendar
- For Blackhawk events check Blackhawk Calendar
- For JMM HS events check Memorial HS Calendar
- For West HS events check West HS Calendar
- For La Follette HS events check La Follette Calendar
If you have a change in personal information (phone/address/email) please respond to this email or notify your mentor coach ASAP.
All the best,