Challenge for the week:
For May, the challenges will center around the theme of Live Healthy, Be Healthy. This week’s challenge is to talk to your mentee about food. Learn what kinds of foods he/she eats. Do they know what kinds of foods are healthy and which are not? Do they know why some foods are better for them than others? How much say does your mentee have in the kinds of foods that he/she eats? Maybe you could take a trip to the grocery and walk the aisles to get the conversation started. Perhaps you could pick up a few things and then go have a picnic or sit outside and have a healthy snack. Or, go to a bookstore or library, page through some healthy eating cookbooks and find a recipe that you want to make together. Get creative and have fun talking about healthy food!
BONUS CHALLENGE: May is Mental Health Awareness month. It’s normal for children and youth to experience a wide range of strong emotions as they grow and mature. However, when extreme emotions start having negative effects on relationships and daily activities, it’s time to intervene. Check out YouthGov.Org for more information.
TIP of the WEEK:
The mission of Intentional Mentoring is to have Mentors interact with school, community, and families in order to strengthen the support network for students facing adversity. Besides asking your mentee about their involvement in their community, do you know what the best way for you to learn about their community is? Interact with it yourself! After your mentee tells you how they’re involved, do some research. Check out their church’s or community center’s website. Sign up to volunteer at their community garden. Put their next community gathering on your calendar. The more you know, the more you know!
We love seeing photos of you and your mentee spending time together! Please share them with us via your coach or using the hashtag #intentionalmentoringmadison
Mentor Coaching Group Meeting Dates:
ASHLEY: Monday, May 23rd 6:30 – 7:30pm firstname.lastname@example.org
RYAN: Monday, May 2nd 5:30 – 6:30pm Ryan@intentionalmentoringmadison.org
Upcoming Events to Note
- FREE Virtual Performing Arts events!
- Urban League of Greater Madison events and opportunities!!
- There are a lot of cool and FREE events at the Dream Bank on E. Washington St.. Check out the AmFam Dream Bank site for more info and to register.
- For a listing of local events checkout www.MadisonWithKids.com
- Free Library Events/Activities: Fitchburg Events Calendar Madison Events Calendar
- For Orchard Ridge events check Orchard Ridge Calendar
- For Toki events check Toki Calendar
- For Sennett events check Sennett Calendar
- For Cherokee events check Cherokee Calendar
- For Blackhawk events check Blackhawk Calendar
- For JMM HS events check Memorial HS Calendar
- For West HS events check West HS Calendar
- For La Follette HS events check La Follette Calendar
If you have a change in personal information (phone/address/email) please respond to this email or notify your mentor coach ASAP.
All the best,