For April, the challenges will center around the theme of Earth Day. This week’s challenge is to use a “greener” mode of transportation while hanging out with your mentee. Could you bike to the library or to get ice cream instead of driving? How about taking the bus? Maybe your mentee could show you how to use the bus system or maybe they’ve never used it and you could show them how. Instead of going for a drive, how about taking a walk and using it as a time for some intentional conversation? Bike, bus, scooter, walk, carpool, rollerblade…have fun protecting the earth together!
Mentor Growth and Development Plan for February-April is here.
Poverty and Trauma
Maintaining equity helps people who have experienced trauma to feel supported. Below are some tips on maintaining equity.
- Embrace curiosity and self-reflection through the practice of cultural humility: lifelong learning, recognition of power imbalances, and institutional accountability
- Consider the frequent connection between trauma and the various forms of oppression and racism (historical, institutional, interpersonal)
- Recognize that everyone has bias (as a result of our experiences culture) that is often unconscious or implicit.
- Recognize that the presence or absence of privilege plays a role in how your mentee and their family experience schools/community.
We love seeing photos of you and your mentee spending time together! Please share them with us via your coach or using the hashtag #intentionalmentoringmadison
Mentor Coaching Group Meeting Dates
VAL: Monday, April 24th 6:30 – 7:30pm firstname.lastname@example.org
RYAN: Monday, May 1st 5:30 – 6:30pm email@example.com
- There are a lot of cool and FREE events at the Dream Bank on E. Washington St.. Check out the AmFam Dream Bank site for more info and to register.
- Free Library Events/Activities: Fitchburg Events Calendar Madison Events Calendar
- For Orchard Ridge events check Orchard Ridge Calendar
- For Toki events check Toki Calendar
- For Sennett events check Sennett Calendar
- For Cherokee events check Cherokee Calendar
- For Blackhawk events check Blackhawk Calendar
- For Memorial HS events check Memorial HS Calendar
- For West HS events check West HS Calendar
- For La Follette HS events check La Follette Calendar
If you have a change in personal information (phone/address/email) please respond to this email or notify your mentor coach ASAP.
All the best,