Intentional Mentoring would love to reimburse you for doing a fun activity with your mentee this winter – tubing at Tyrol, jumping at Sky Zone, or ice skating at any of the many ice rinks in the area. For some of these activities you’ll need to have the family fill out a waiver before going. Talk to your coach about details and how to get reimbursed.
For January, the challenges will center around the theme of Looking Ahead. This week’s challenge continues from last week’s but instead of reflecting on how you view the mentoring relationship, talk to your mentee about how they view it. If you’re new to the program, ask your mentee why they wanted a mentor and what they hope to get out of your mentoring relationship. If you’ve been mentoring for a while, ask your mentee how they’ve seen your relationship grow or change and then ask about how they’d like to see the relationship grow or change as you continue spending time together. Once you’ve talked about your mentoring relationship, write down a description of what you both agree you want to see happen in your relationship so that you are both committing to it!
Tip of the Week
Working on short-term memory skills is one way to address the stress and neglect of living in poverty. The lack of attunement and self-regulation, along with additional stress, can lead to deficits in attention. Playing simple memory games, such as I’m Going on a Picnic or Number Sequences can help improve this. (To play Number Sequences: Someone begins by naming a number between 1-20. A second person repeats the number called out by the first person, then adds their own number, which cannot be a consecutive number. The next person repeats the numbers in sequence from the first two, then adds their own. Continue like this until either the process is successfully completed (all numbers have been used) or breaks down) ~Taken from www.nea.org Teaching Children from Poverty and Trauma.
We love seeing photos of you and your mentee spending time together! Please share them with us via your coach or using the hashtag #intentionalmentoringmadison
Mentor Coaching Group Meeting Dates
VAL: TBD 6:30 – 7:30pm email@example.com
RYAN: Monday, January 9th 5:30 – 6:30pm firstname.lastname@example.org
Upcoming Events to Note
- There are a lot of cool and FREE events at the Dream Bank on E. Washington St.. Check out the AmFam Dream Bank site for more info and to register.
- Free Library Events/Activities: Fitchburg Events Calendar Madison Events Calendar
- For Orchard Ridge events check Orchard Ridge Calendar
- For Toki events check Toki Calendar
- For Sennett events check Sennett Calendar
- For Cherokee events check Cherokee Calendar
- For Blackhawk events check Blackhawk Calendar
- For Memorial HS events check Memorial HS Calendar
- For West HS events check West HS Calendar
- For La Follette HS events check La Follette Calendar
If you have a change in personal information (phone/address/email) please respond to this email or notify your mentor coach ASAP.
All the best,