🥳🎉 HAPPY NEW YEAR 🎉🥳
Challenge for the week:
For January, the challenges will center around the theme of Looking Ahead. This week’s challenge starts with YOU. Take some time this week to reflect on your mentoring relationship and then think ahead to where you’d like to see it go. If you’re new to the program, reflect on why you became a mentor and what you hope for your mentoring relationship. If you’ve been mentoring for a while, reflect on how your relationship has grown and then think about the areas where you’d like to see new and/or increased growth. Once you’ve looked ahead and seen a vision for the future of your mentoring relationship, write down a description of what this looks like. Writing it down solidifies your commitment to it!
BONUS CHALLENGE: January is National Mentoring Month. That means this month’s challenge is to spread the word about mentoring! One of the biggest hindrances to people becoming mentors is thinking “Who am I? What would I have to offer a child?” But the truth is, we ALL have something to offer! Share your story of why you became a mentor and what your experience has been like with others and then encourage them to get involved. You can also tell them you know just the organization they should contact. 😉
TIP of the WEEK: All children are born with only six emotions hardwired in their brains. Students from poverty haven’t often had the opportunity to be attuned to their parents’ emotions or had parents who had the time or capacity to teach their children other emotions. Taking time to teach and model emotions for your mentee is very meaningful. Look for opportunities to ask questions about what emotions a movie/song/story character may be feeling and why, to model experiencing an emotion in a positive way, or to discuss your mentee’s experience with different emotions. ~Taken from www.nea.org Teaching Children from Poverty and Trauma. (https://www.nea.org/sites/default/files/2020-07/NEAPovertyTraumaHandbook.pdf )
📸We love seeing photos of you and your mentee spending time together! Please share them with us via your coach or using the hashtag #intentionalmentoringmadison 📸
Mentor Coaching Group Meeting Dates:
ASHLEY: Monday, January 31st (to be confirmed) 6:30 – 7:30 firstname.lastname@example.org
RYAN: Monday, January 3rd 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. Ryan@intentionalmentoringmadison.org
Upcoming Events to Note
- FREE Virtual Performing Arts events!
- Urban League of Greater Madison events and opportunities!!
- There are a lot of cool and FREE events at the Dream Bank on E. Washington St.. Check out the AmFam Dream Bank site for more info and to register.
- For a listing of local events checkout www.MadisonWithKids.com
- Free Library Events/Activities: Fitchburg Events Calendar Madison Events Calendar
- For Orchard Ridge events check Orchard Ridge Calendar
- For Toki events check Toki Calendar
- For Sennett events check Sennett Calendar
- For Cherokee events check Cherokee Calendar
- For Blackhawk events check Blackhawk Calendar
- For JMM HS events check Memorial HS Calendar
- For West HS events check West HS Calendar
- For La Follette HS events check La Follette Calendar
If you have a change in personal information (phone/address/email) please respond to this email or notify your mentor coach ASAP.
QUOTE of the WEEK
All the best,